As I age, time seems to go by so much faster, I mean, where did 2016 even go? The thought of I’m already in 2017 is pretty frightening. But as I think back of 2016, I’m really happy that I kept this blog live, even though my work and life has gotten busier than ever – honestly, this blog (along with gym) has become my escape land, and to certain extend, keeps me sane and calm.
OK, enough with my usual rambling. Today I’m sharing a list of makeup products that I have thoroughly loved, adored and enjoyed throughout 2016. Side note, I’m not planning to do a roundup of skincare this year, mainly because I’m still very much obsessed with the same products I have mentioned a million times in this blog, such as the Vintner’s Daughter Botanic Serum, the MV Organic Rose Plus Booster, Omorovicza Rejuvenating Night Cream and the Oskia Renaissance Cleansing Gel.
I haven’t been experimenting makeup as much in 2016 (though looking at my 2016 purchase history, it clearly tells a different story. And yes, I’m a true nerd in the sense that I keep tracking of all my beauty purchases in spreadsheet), so all the products below were in heavy rotation on daily basis.
– Burberry Fresh Glow Luminous Fluid Base in 01 has been my go-to glow inducing product. I mix a pump of it with my foundation of the day, and it just gives the most subtle, dewy and sophisticated glow. I’m now almost out of it, and have been struggling to get the last bits out every morning in the past week.
– Bobbi Brown Intensive Skin Serum Foundation SPF 40+ is a fabulous, fabulous foundation for light to medium coverage. It hydrates the skin, it provides sun protection, and it gives a beautiful, lit-from-within glow. This mixing with the Burberry primer is match made in heaven. I’ll be popping up an empty review of this product very soon, so I feel it’s at its last lag.
– Chantecaille Just Skin Tinted Moisturizer was something I used religiously in the first half of the year. It’s seriously the best BB/CC cream I have tried, nothing more need to be said (I have done a full review here).
– AmorePacific Color Control Cushion Foundation SPF 50+ was a quite late discovery in 2016 when I visited Seoul in September. It practically lived in my makeup after I purchased it. It’s so darn quick and easy, provides light coverage but enough to even out the redness on my cheek. And the finish, let me tell you, it’s pretty magical – not only does it make your skin glowy and dewy, it brightens the complexion and just makes you look more awake and fresh. I really don’t know how it did it.
– Marc Jacobs Air Blush Soft Glow Duo in Flesh & Fantasy is the best blush launch of 2016, it’s a gorgeous neutral shade that goes with look, and the texture of the blush is nothing but dreamy. I also have done a full review of this blush here.
– Chanel Cream Blush in 63 Revelation is something I haven’t talked about much in the blog, but have used a ton. On the days I’m in the mood for a cream blush, this is the one I reach for the most in 2016. It’s foolproof to use, blends itself nicely, sets down to powder finish, lasts well and the color is what my cheeks would like with natural flush. I’m not sure why Chanel cream blush is not much talked about in the beauty community, because its formula is really spectacular.
– Nars Smudge Proof Eyeshadow Primer is the saviour for oily eyelids. I’m on my third (or maybe fourth) tube, it doesn’t only work with eyeshadow, also great to keep eyeliner in place.
–Burberry Eye Colour Coutour Pen in Rosewood has been my everyday eye color. It’s easy and quick, doesn’t smudge and has the perfect pigmentation (I did a full review here). All you need is 10 seconds for each eye.
– Lancome Grandiose liquid eyeliner in black, of course. I swear by this liquid liner (full review here). It’s jet black, goes on smoothly, seems to last forever on the lid (I honestly don’t know what’s the maximum number of hours it can last, because I have had it on for more than 15 hours and it was still intact), no smudge, no transfer. The only downside is that it dries faster than other liquid liners I have tried – I’m now on my second tube, and the first one lasted me around 3 months.
– Tom Ford Lips & Boys in Collin is the lipstick I used most consistently in 2016, which says a lot, because something happened in 2016 that turned me into a lipstick junkie. Collin is a muted plummy, rosy shade that’s an unexpected love for me. The texture is creamy and comfortable to wear. I also adore the size of Tom Ford Lips & Boys lipsticks, they are so dainty & cute! I kind wish all lipsticks come in this size, because how often do you really finish a lipstick?
– Clarins Instant Eye makeup Remover, are you surprised? Probably not. It’s gentle to the eyes, yet effective in taking off all the waterproof mascaras and eyeliners. Full review here.
– Aerin Eau De Parfum in Gardenia Rattan is a very late purchase of 2016, but has quickly jumped to the top spot. I went from “I don’t need another perfume” to “I cannot sleep tonight if I don’t get it” in mere minutes. I’m not going to bore you with my poor description of the scent, except please go to have a sniff if you ever pass an Aerin counter. Honestly, Aerin’s whole line of fragrance is out of the world amazing, I’m itching to get my hands on a few more.
What have been your makeup favorites in 2016?